Date: n.d.; 1700-1755 (?)
Source: Nova Scotia Museum, Halifax
Reference Number: P113/ 27.68 (6055)/ N-12,703
Image Use: Free for personal research and non-commercial educational use.
The Nova Scotia Museum reserves the right to refuse requests.
This medal was dug up about 1877 on François Noel's Island [now Francis Nose Island], Halifax County, N.S., on the site of an old eighteenth-century French cemetery at the neck at the east end of the island, near Musquodoboit Harbour. According to Jeremiah Bartlett Alexis, the Mi'kmaq who sold it to the museum, the Mi'kmaq of the district were buried at this chapel. The medal is thought to be French and to have been made for the Indian trade. It was uncovered by John Baker of East Jeddore. The accession book lists it as measuring 1.26 to 1.28 inches in diameter. [Nova Scotia Museum Accession Book III, No. 6055, p. 123.]
medals; men; headdresses, feather; weapons; axes, stone